Dutch increasingly unhappy on government
January 24, 2007 Leave a Comment
The Dutch are rather unhappy about the quality of government services. Additionally, such feelings are growing, a study by the Social and Cultural Planning Bureau (SCP) showed yesterday.
Some 63 percent of the Dutch term the quality of old folks’ homes bad or mediocre. Jurisprudence is rated bad or mediocre by 56 percent, while of the other 44 percent, only 4 percent consider it very good. Similar figures apply to public transport. The police is however the organisation with the smallest number of ‘fans;’ the ‘very good’ score here is just 3 percent.
The proportion of people that find public services have deteriorated in the past five years is on average over twice the proportion considering they have improved in this period, the SCP figures show. In its own press release, SCP however says: “Little has changed in the last five years in the assessment of public services in general.” Among the few services that have improved was the tax service.
SCP has calculated that the costs of public services rose by 3.4 percent annually on average in the 1995-2004 period. Strong growth was seen for police and justice (4.7 percent annually), followed by healthcare (4 percent) and education (3.3 percent). The fastest-growing facility is childcare, by 9 percent a year.
According to the publication (‘Public performances in perspective’), the strongest investment growth in the next four years will be in healthcare, education and childcare. A decline is expected in the processing of asylum-seekers.
Source: NIS News, ANP, 24 January 2007